Monday, October 24, 2011

Her Fitness: When you can't work out

 Ever have one of those days where you're exhausted before you even get up because you have so much on that day's "To-do" list? I know I do. Sometime these days mean you should try to get in a good workout to ease some of the stress. Other days you can't even spare a minute to match your socks as well as jump on an elliptical for 45 minutes. Whenever I am faced with one of these days I know I can incorporate a few things into my routine to help ease the guilt of missing a workout:
 287 steps to the gates of the castle in prague

Stairway to Nice Legs Heaven
The main day of the week I can't workout is Wednesday. I work 9 to 5 and have class from 6 to 9. So I know at the end of that day, I am most likely not going to feel like hitting the gym. So I try to take as many stairs as possible that day.
I park on the 5th floor so I have to walk back up at the end of the day (5 flights)
I work on the 5th floor in the other tower and I usually go down and back up from the lobby twice a day (10 flights)
And the Doozy, I live on the 13th floor of my apartment building. That'll make your calves burn. (13 flights)
You burn about 10 calories per minute of ascending stairs and 7 calories per minute of descending stairs. Imagine that calories you could burn by the end of the day!




Youtube Fitness
Who wants to spend 20 bucks on a fitness DVD for a long spandex filled workout when you have Youtube filled with short home workouts you can do in your dorm. Below are a few of my personal favorites:

8- Minute Abs
 

Home Workout
 

Arm Workout
 

Leg Lift While You Work
Sometimes it's easier to kill two birds with one stone. What I like to do if I need to catch up on some major reading but need to do a good workout is I tone my legs while reading a textbook:






       
        +  





Equals Good Buns!
-A good leg lift routine I like to do is start my doing a straight leg lift for 60 seconds. Trust me you will feel the burn. 
-Then I do 30 seconds of bending your knee then lifting the leg all the way up. 
-After That I do 30 reps of lifting the leg half up-- 30 with toe pointed then 30 with foot flexed. 
-Then you take your leg up half way up and swing it to you touch your toe right in front of you and then swing it over and touch your heel behind you. Do 25 on each side for a total of fifty. You will feel it in the booty!
-Switch to the next side and do the same for  the other leg all while finishing a chapter in your textbook!

So imagine if you did these in one day... you basically just worked out without ever seeing the inside of the gym or taking time away from things you  have to do. And now that I am looking at my schedule for the week (two midterms, a research paper and prepping for a sorority event) I will most likely be doing a lot of these myself!

Question:
If you can't work out are there other things you like to try and do?



No comments:

Post a Comment