Monday, October 17, 2011

Her Recipes: Slimmy Joes

So tonight's quick healthy meal is one of my personal favorites, SLOPPY JOES!

Except my sloppy joes come with a healthy twist, thus the name SLIMMY JOES! This is one of my favorite quick go-to meals. And it makes a lot of food so there's always leftovers! Now my changes go as follows to rid the calories while leaving the flavor:

First I use turkey instead of ground beef which has 65% less fat and half the calories! I use the extra lean ground turkey.
Now a lot of people run into the problem that the turkey dries out, so I use a little olive oil spray to help keep it moist.

Second, once the turkey is done I put in the Manwich sauce, but I used the Veggie version which only has 40 calories per serving and less than 300 calories per can.
GRR put the 'man' in MANWICH
Then throw the sauce in and sloppy magic forms before your eyes.
MMM yummy!
Now third thing I do is I don't eat it with a bun. I save 100 calories just by eating it plain, because personally I think it tastes just dandy on its own with a side of veggies (from the microwave!) Also if you eat it on a bun you tend to have more than one 'Joe' which just adds the calories.

BONUS: Sometimes I add a small baked potato. But since I have been sick I haven't been working out so I cut that from the dinner. But a small baked potato is a great side and snack. A small one is only 100 calories! You cook it in the microwave by stabbing it with a sharp knife multiple times then microwaving it for 4 to 5 minutes. The let it sit of two minutes so it fully steams through. It's my favorite easy snack/side dish.  And instead of butter on it, I like to put just a bit olive oil and salt.

So that's it for tonight. Stand by, because tomorrow I am doing my first FASHION piece about college fall essentials using some very fashionable college girls :)







5 comments:

  1. I love Billy Madison and sloppy joes! This is a great recipe good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Def making these in the near future...got hungry just looking at them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were a vegetarian lovely little?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I don't eat red meat like steak or pork. And I usually don't eat chicken. But Turkey I love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum- looks delish! I will definitely be trying this recipe sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete