Monday, October 31, 2011

Her Musings: Hall _HO_ween

Happy Halloween! Well official Halloween, for college students Halloween is the Friday and Saturday before, regardless of what the calendar says. I would like to start this post with a little poem I wrote last week in the student union:

Tis the Thursday before all Hallow's Eve and all through the streets. 
The conversations don't surround neither tricks nor treats
All the girls are buzzing and dying to know
What's the best way to dress like a ho'?
There are heels to find and fishnets to buy 
Because you can't be a cat without a skirt that's thigh high
The stores a cleared of red lace and pleather
Because it's much less skanky if you all do it together!

Let's be honest, I don't think I ever lose respect more for my age and gender than on Halloween. I mean is it one of my favorite holidays? DUH! But every year I feel like girls in college are pushing the envelope and in a secret contest of who can show the most skin. Let be honest, Mean Girls said it all!
 
"I'm a mouse, DUH"

I just almost don't know how it even got to this point. I was in Target with my friend Natalie on Friday and there were ADORABLE costumes in the front. And I made the comment " It's sad how the costumes for girls never get any bigger as we grow up." Don't believe me?







Cute Snow White VS  Skanky Snow White




         


    Cute Little Girl Cat VS Sexy Kitten









And it is not just the level of sluttiness in today's costumes that perplex me, it's the ridiculousness of what we choose to make sexy. In writing this post I looked up costumes on some websites and low and behold what I found:

Sexy Hulk Hogan: Now, I know boy everywhere have fond memories of wrestling and legendary Hulk Hogan. But when they were crowded around the TV fantasizing about being a pro wrestler... they were NOT fantasizing about one day banging the wrestler.




Sexy Tigger: Tigger was my favorite cartoon growing up, this picture made me mourn my childhood in one sweep.


Sexy Panda: Pandas are the most adorable things in the world and should not be made sexy. End of story.
Sexy CHEWBACCA: Yes, that is a slutty CHEWBACCA costume. How the hell do you make that sexy? If you have a thing for nerds and know they love Star Wars, then go as slave Princess Leia. Chewy is not hot. And will never be hot no matter how many times your guy has seen Return of the Jedi.

Now I don't want to be a hipocrite. I too have worn costumes that were tighter than the average outfit. But I keep it to a point that if I ran into my 80 year old christian Grandma, she wouldn't throw holy water on me and then proceed to go into cardiac arrest.

I don't mind sexy costumes, because hey, if you can rock it more power to you. I just like CREATIVE sexy costumes or costumes that you made. And to put my money where my mouth is, this was my "sexy" costume.
Yes I was beloved 90's toy Bop It and second night I was a ninja turtle with some of my sorority sisters.
My costumes were cute and flattering but they were homemade and creative. And I got TONS of compliments, especially on Bop It. And the best part is that when THIS STORM HIT...

...I was warm--well not warm but I was definitely not as cold as the sexy bunnies in fishnets and heels I saw walk by.

So things to take away:

-REALLY Think about what your costume says about you
-Don't kill your Grandma
-Is being 'hott' really worth frostbite?
-DON'T ever ask to see your future daughter's halloween pictures in College. Because most likely you won't want to know.

Happy HALLOWEEN everyone!

2 comments:

  1. We have similar outlooks on these things!

    Check out my blog, if you get the chance.

    http://mshelbourne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think you looked hot in your costumes! Turtle love <3

    ReplyDelete