Thursday, November 3, 2011

Her Musings: PSA about PDA

Every day millions of college students are infected with one of the most sickening and contagious diseases: new relationship infatuation. The disease can be contracted at anytime, targeting single people looking for a relationship. The first stage of the disease starts out minor: a handhold or perhaps small public kiss on the cheek. If untreated by common decency the more advance stages of the new relationship infatuation include, full fledge make outs on the sidewalk and other public domains, nauseating baby talk, and inappropriate groping. If you start experiencing these symptoms you can be treated. Take a daily dose of reality of how obnoxious you are and quarantine yourself in your room. Second hand PDA can be very uncomfortable for innocent bystanders. So for the safety and health of those around you, try and contain yourself.
Now this is not some kind of single-girl mission to spit on all the happy couples out there. I swear I do not come home after a day of watching couples walking down campus hand-and-hand and cry to love actually while eating chunky munky with a ladle. I actually enjoy being single right now. I am very swamped with school and finding a job and I don't have time for man hunting. Of course if god drops a wonderful guy into my lap I wont shoo him away. But active man trapping is not on the agenda right now.
However, I do admit that  being in a relationship for 2 1/2 years and then being thrown into the collegiate single life does make me a bit more sensitive to couples. And what I have noticed, some couple don't get the concept of... YOU ARE IN PUBLIC. I was walking home in the middle of the day and there was a couple sitting on the bench outside my dorm doing some very involved petting. The girl was even sitting on her boyfriend's lap. The entire time I was in a relationship I felt that I was very aware of the people around me. I was a firm believer in laced hands as we walked and a quick kiss goodbye. Maybe it's my own personal thing but it's not even about caring about other people. I just feel my relationship is no one else's business. I don't maybe this is just my future cat lady talking, but I just don't get it. If you wouldn't do it on the sofa in front of your great-grandma, why would you do it in front innocent bystanders on the street?

No comments:

Post a Comment